Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tea-Dyed


When I learned you could tea-dye fabrics, the prospect interested me. I initially saw it on a post from Craftzine, and kept that post bookmarked for future reference. When I started the Fruit of the Month club sampler, I knew I wanted to tea-dye the aida fabric so that I'd get the best result possible.



I've mentioned before that I find the process very simple, clean and straightforward. It's a lot easier for me to boil a pot of water, throw in some tea-bags, enjoy the scent in the air and get to work than it is to pull out tubs I'm not afraid to dye blue or green. 



When I started this project, I initially wanted only one quilt. Something with floral accents, a delicate nature. Believe it or not, my inspiration was - oddly enough - the Hobbit. "Because a hobbit hole means good food, good cheer, and most of all, comfort." It was a favorite book of mine as a kid, and I loved the cartoon by Rankin and Bass. Watching the feature film this past week only cemented my need to create something rustic and sweet. A quilt you could crawl in, all the while imagining a warm hearth and all the smells of wood and home. 

But I had another idea, too. There's a pin on Pinterest featuring a "Weasley Blanket" - a blanket featuring different plaids and stripes. Suddenly I wanted one, too - but mine would be different. After grabbing plaid shirts from my stash (thrifted from the local Good Will) and some at Joann's, I settled on a pattern called the Ribbon Star. I previously used it for my nephew's quilt, so I knew it was easy. And after a lot of cutting - 



- which this little lady is never very pleased with - 

I began sewing it up! So far, I think the Weasley quilt is coming along nicely. Tea really only comes in a few types - herbal, black, white - and so the colors you get are limited. Browns, pinks, purples, yellows. But I'm kind of in love with the muted effect it has.





Here are my first three blocks! (All untrimmed). I did have a bit of a problem with the flannel shirtings - either I cut them on the bias, or something, but they do have a bit of stretch to them, which necessitates precision in sewing. The middle block is a DS quilts plaid that I had to include - who doesn't need a yellow plaid in their life?



This is the second quilt. Simple log cabin blocks with pretty floral lawn from Regent Street, and miscellaneous florals from my stash (some bright, others muted). I have a thing - despite my tomboyishness - for dainty florals. Those doilies in the background are for embellishment when I'm done, and they are tea-dyed as well. 

I actually can't wait to start on these again tonight. The blocks are so quickly made that it's impossible not to make five or six at a time! I'm going to do eighty total and then piece them together. I can't wait to see what it turns out to be!

Later days!
- Kait






No comments:

Post a Comment