Friday, October 28, 2011

Goals, Happenings & Weekend Plans

It's official; October has faded into November. The weather has cooled, the island has slowed. While October is usually my favorite month - Halloween, birthdays, and so on - this month it's been very stressful! Between my brother's surgery, among other things, it's been difficult to deal with (to say the least). This time around, I'm glad to see it go.

And with November, hopefully there's the promise of new things - today, six weeks after my brother's surgery, we met with his doctors and he was given a (near) clean bill of health! Four more weeks of a brace (to be picked up Monday) and he'll right as rain! Definitely an immense comfort to know, and I'm glad to start my day off that way!

I'm starting it off strong on a quilting front, too! -

My Castle/1001 Peeps Kaleidoscopic Kites Quilt (isn't that a mouthful) is nearly done! The top is 3/4 of the way pieced, and finishing it should take another hour and a half at most! This was definitely thanks to season one of Star Trek: The Original Series, which was an honorable companion during the wee hours of the night - and the day - and all 29 hours of which I watched it.

I'm a few sashings and a border away from being done with my Prince Charming Log Cabin! This one is a bit trickier me - because UGH, sashings - but I plan on finishing the top this weekend. I'll be excited to hang it in the closet with the others!

Is anyone else excited about the multitude of lovely fabric coming out next year? I'm trying to be good, so no impulse buying, but I've got my heart set on three collections coming out in 2012: Hello Pilgrim by Lizzy House, Nightshade by Tula Pink, and Ruby Star Shining by Melody Miller! Other than that, I plan on purchasing a bunch of charm packs for my hexagon quilt - I've made myself a nice list :)

I'm also saving up for a new sewing machine. I originally wanted to purchase the Janome Horizion - which is an admirable machine, to be sure, and one day I might buy one anyway - but for now, I think I've got my sights set on a Janome HD3000. It's more of what I've got in mind, with the features that I want, and it seems to be a "workhouse". Any feedback I've found on it has generally been positive, and I plan on saving for a couple months and trying it out at a Janome shop nearby. I love my little Brother, and he has served me well, but I need a bit of an upgrade!

That's all for now. I'll be back this weekend with a few pics of the completed quilt tops!

No comments:

Post a Comment